Saturday, January 17, 2009

Aashay Sahastranaam

Well, Lets agree to the fact that AASHAY is not a very often heard name or a very common word, so people are bound to make mistakes pronouncing it....This post is dedicated to understanding the deep meaning that underlies this name, and makes the person who owns the name even more special and brilliant...

Before we start the sahastranaam, let us understand the true meaning of the name <>

Aashay means meaning itself. It is a Hindi word that means MEANING. For example....Nimnilikhit Vaakyon ka AASHAY spasht karein... i.e. Explain the AASHAY (meaning) of the following sentences...

Sadly however, given the high rates of illiteracy in the country, and even higher rates of unawareness of hindi langauge in the nation, the word is unbeknownst to most. Although this makes it unique, it also creates several problems, mostly manifested in the corrupted versions of the word AASHAY.

Since my childhood, I have been subjected to being called by these corruptions, and frankly speaking, I don't think I even mind it now... Its almost like I have several names, depending on the caller... Here is the list of the names that are commonly used by people to call me-

  1. Akshay(Its almost like my other name)
  2. Aasha
  3. Aashy
  4. Aashiq
  5. Asaram (I really can't explain the workings of this mind...rather the inability to process Latin Alphabets)
  6. Ashay (Not AAAAshay....but Ashay)
  7. Assay
etc etc...

Having a complex surname means that the distortion is not confined to the name but also extends to the family name. Here are some variants of Manake-

  1. Maanek
  2. Maanaakey
  3. Maanki
  4. Manke (Pronounced as Mun Ke... umm...translated in english as "of the heart"...)
  5. Mankaadey
  6. Mandkey (confined only to the Marathi Janata)
  7. Mandki (Marathis again!)
etc etc

The combination of the corruption of both first and last name gives way to such generous display of creativity in pronounciation as "AASHARAAM MANKAADEY" or "AASHA MANDKI"

Anyways, Can't find an approporiate ending for this one, so, for the record would just like to make it clear that I love my name totally and I reply to these distortions only because I fear that others might not have evolved sense of pronouncing the name and hence it is my moral obligation to facilitate communication...

ThanQ!

No comments: