Monday, November 16, 2009

Munger Diaries Season II: The Pilot

I am a self proclaimed lazy bum... There is nothing more I want from life other than a cosy bed, a fluffy pillow and a nice book to read (I also want money, happiness, and world peace, but that is a different issue altogether)... So, imagine my frustration when I was awakened by a phone call at 9:30 AM on a Sunday morning (It is important to highlight the importance of Sunday, because Saturday is no longer a chutti for me) asking me to come to the cricket pitch, for a cricket match- the second of the season...

Now, I am not the sporty types... I have tried my hand at various sports, and for a fact I know that I SUCK at cricket... I mean... I bowl only wides & no-balls.... I can't see a ball that is aimed at the stumps (explaining the bowlers' high success rates against me)... and I can't differentiate between a ball in the sky and a flying eagle... So, imagine my frustration at being invited for a "CRICKET MATCH" on a sunday morning...

I got up and started getting ready hurriedly, when I got another call saying that I was required to "report" for the football match. "Mini Football tournament" is on in Munger, and the mixed manager-worker teams makes for an interesting play....I had already missed the first match, and I had no intention of being labelled a snoot. Imagine my plight, ladies and gentlemen, as on a Sunday morning, I ran to reach in time for a game that I have never played in my life! People say they have 2 left feet for dancing. Well, I have 2 left feet for dancing and for playing football...

Somehow I survived the agony and prevented myself from getting totally humiliated by following a simple strategy. I ran from one end of the field, shouting & yelling, irrespective of the direction in which the ball was kicked. If the ball was hurled at me, I would look away, and pretend that I was not prepared. All that notwithstanding, the team that I was a part of, won in the "Sudden Death" and hence qualified for the Quarters (inspite of me!)

The one lesson I learnt from this was the fact that sometimes, It is not about the "I". The team didn't mind the fact that I couldn't play... they didn't mind if I couldn't pass correctly...(At least they didn't openly!) and most importantly they seemed happy that I showed interest... Probably, it was worth getting up early for that!

From the field, to the pitch. By now the match was underway, and I was not required to partcipate by playing... In any case, I hung around, enjoying the play and wishing even I could play well!

A couple of rounds of the campus in the evening and an hour of tennis later, my body gave up on me... And so, as I type my Sunday-Exploits, every bone in my body, every muscle,artery & vein aches and hurts & agonizes...

But it was worth it...A Sunday well spent in Monghyr! :D

4 comments:

Nefertiti said...

awww!!! cute post... cant imagine u outdoors on a sunday morning!!! but yes, for a chnge u r quite a sport! well played :)

Confessions of an unrepentant Aquarian said...

too funny...but do not try to glamorise Munger but calling it Monghyr!

creativity@work said...

Hilarious...... and people are shocked by my sudden burst of laughter in an absolute silent office environment

Aashay said...

@all Oh my agony doth please you!...

@ creativity@work- reveal thyself!!!