Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Engineers Ahoy!

Well, I have always known that I wasn't really great with my technical skills... I mean I knew that my engineering fundaes were shaky at best and only God knows how I passed those horrendous practical exams... But, there has always been the feeling that I could have managed a techincal career... Of COurse I would have to struggle...but then... ho jaata...


Anyways... Thats not the point..An acquaintance called me up yesterday enquiring about the final year project that I had "done" (so to speak) in my final year of Engineering...Now, the strange thing is , I couldn't, though I tried to recollect as hard as I could, remember the project title.It was something to do with Microprocessors... or was it Microwaves... or Micro-minis!!!... By the way, this project was the highlight of my resume till my summers...I still remember going through my final project report before summers began...Awkward, embarrassed and ashamed at the same time, I told the caller that my mind has just blanked out and that the title will come back to me & I will communicate the same... I tried thinking of the project, but my mind refused to accommodate this query.... I tried thinking hard of the group of people I had done my project with... but No... Nothing there as well...

In the meanwhile, a friend of mine called up and I asked him if he remembered the project I had done...Although, he couldn't tell me my project, I was surprised to find out that he at least remembers his... Agitated & Embarrassed at the same time, I decided it was time to regain some pride... So, I generally said that although I couldn't remember the project title, I could clearly see the circuit diagram in front of my eyes...You know... how a little showing-off never hurt anyone... Now, in an ideal world, this should have been the end of the conversation and other better thinbgs should have been brought forth for discussion... Alas!... He chose to ask me what the circuit diagram was...

Brimming with fake confidence, I repiled in my boldest voice... There was this chip in the centre.... IC-814!!!...

That is it... A loud guffaw from the other end made me realize the futility of continuing this conversation any further...All hope at regaining lost ground was lost by the utterance of those syllables.. IC-814!

The sad part is I still don't know what my project was... The good part is that I have been able to track down my team members...I probably will harangue them one of these days to remind myself of "My Project"....2 years of MBA have washed away 4 years of Engineering... And that is not to say that I remember anything that was "learnt" during 2 years of MBA!...

What was the old adage again?...

"Engineers forever"!!

3 comments:

Rohit said...

Lol! Who was the caller? Was it Bham?
And why the hell can't u check your summers cv. I am sure it would be in ur laptop lest you have deleted it!!

Aashay said...

Bham was the one I got laffed at by!... Lappie crashed... No memories..

Sudhakar said...

same thing happened to me a couple of weeks back!! LOL