Monday, October 27, 2008

Vacation Season

Its been a year since the last diwali now... And things have changed completely... Last year had a different charm to go back home... Ist Sem was traumatic... Exams were pathetic... And simply speaking, everyone was just too tired and worn out in the college... But yes, Then, the economy was doing well... everyone had landed a great summers offer... The flights were sooo much cheaper and then there was the whole Delhi wala Gang that had booked tickets together...

This Diwali, I will be staying back at the college... My first Diwali away from Home... And frankly speaking I don't think I will enjoy it that much... Now Now... Before you brand me a pessimist or whatever... Its only because I will soo miss the Kaju ki barfi and the dry fruits which come in truckloads during diwali, although I have been promised that they will be courirered as soon as possible but still... Its a different thing to eat away to glory, while watching T.V.....

My typical Diwali when I was a kid revolved around 3 things:- Mithais, Gifts & Crackers... With time Crackers have become less and less important (including that one year when I was in the eleventh, when I suddenly grew environment conscious and did not burst any) and all that is left of Diwali are the Gifts and the Mithais... Typically, during Diwali time there is a flood of gifts from Mom-Dad's offices. My principle KRA as a child was to open all in a decent manner (And conserve the wrapping paper, which I never did), declare those that were suitable for immediate and short term usage and watch as the rest were given away... I have had bloody fights with others regarding this and I specifically remember having punched a cousin who tried to stray into my turf and open the gifts (I was in the fourth then and she was probably in first).... And then come the mithais... I am salivating when I think of the Kaju barfis, the normal barfis and other exotic mithais from random mithai shops in C.P...As I write this, I consume a sad packet of Hide and seek.. which is my breakfast.... At home I would have had chaklis, anarse and god knows what not!

Hmm...So how will I pass my diwali @ Symbiosis?... I have no clues... Plan to go to my cousin's for Lunch so that I feel at least part-home away from home and come back to the campus to burst crackers and all....And thats about it... I think I have been morose enough now, So, I will just end by saying that I pray my first diwali away from home will be an eventful affair...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

havent seen your blog so far. just read your poem on neev 08 . great work aashay

you are a gifted poet

anyways i seriously think you would not have missed the sweets so much as everyone who went home came back with some of them.

really enjoed reading

tc