Sunday, July 5, 2009

My North Indian Dosas!


Its been a total of  15 days South of the Vindhyas in Bengalooru and already I am missing the life up North... Apparently, everything that is done in the North is a subject of ridicule in the South... Take for instance, the diet!.... Apparently, South Indians are befuddled at the way we eat our daal and rotis... They are at a complete loss to understand how can the North Indians eat the same daal and roti 24*7*365... Its like some weird reversal of the jokes that do the rounds in the North... You know... Like the way they eat chawal with rassam... you know... with the slurps and the rassam dripping on to the arms and stuff... Another joke would be the Tamil translation for Spoon... I believe one research that has been going on for 36 years has yet to yield a result....


For, In the South, They pride themselves on their Sambhars ( I have been told there are some 20 varieties of it) and Rassams... and Dosas.... And these Dosas are not the counterfeit North Indian Dosas... You know... Like Paneer Dosa (Which is delicious).... and Mysore Dosa (Which apparently is a fake).... and millions of other Dosas that endear us in the North to the Southern Gastronomy....

With 15 days of Dosas and Idlis and Sambhars behind me... All I wanna say is that I like the South as it is in the North... You know... with the fakes and the counterfeits... and Dosas prepared in Punjabi style....

Long live the great divide...






4 comments:

Nefertiti said...

long live the great divide?? well, that kinda sums it up... n m hppy to b neither!! m hppy to b from the east... interestingly, I love dosas irrespective of whthr they r the real or the fake variety, n even more interesti9ngly, I DO NOT LIKE BONG DELICACIES... go figure the great divide!

Aashay said...

for the purpose of this discussion seema, east is north.... And don't be mean, bong delicacies are like heaven... How can you not like them....

Pari said...

Poor Aashay, missing North ..... I am a mix of both ...there is no divide in my case ........ I am used to north ki rotis and south ka Sambhar .... and can eat both Paneer Dosa and southern Pessaratu with equal delight .... ;)

devdutt said...

Well dnt generalise north and south like that :) Kashmiris eat rice 365*24*7 with a curry tho and they eat it with hands, pretty much like south indians :P Bt they eat rice with curry and nt sambhar. Evn in Jammu ppl have rice rather thn roti. Waise nw tht I am goin to Chennai will find out abt south :P