Sunday, May 18, 2008

Munger Diaries III : The Battle of Munger: Napoleon Vs Alexander

I have always felt a little too attached to history. It was & still is one of my favorite subjects. Its fascinating to know how the events if the past still have an impact on the way we feel, act & behave today. Anyways, my current roomie happens to be an IITian, and you know how intimidating they can be. My cousin was an IITian & the sheer amount of knowledge he has.....on anything & everything is so damn amazing.

Anyways, thats not the case here....I was (as usual) playing the Rise of Nations- the Napoleon Campaign, when this bugger starts asking me how the game is played and stuff...So I very patiently (Impossible, you say?) try and explain him the rules & stuff, when suddenly he asks me why is there no India in the map (As in there is a map which shows all the territories that are available for conquest...Since India was never in Napoleon's cross hairs, India was not shown in the map)...I tell him that Napoleon never attacked India...."No way", is the reply....."Napoleon Bonaparte & Alexander the great fought a battle somewhere in North India & Napoleon had lost"....hmm...Interesting thought...Re-writing History??.....Anyways, I very poitely yell at him & inform him that there was a difference of at least 2000 years between the two men & hence the twain never did fight in the plains of north India....& thats not it, the bugger has also been trying to convince me that the jews worship Christ ( a very dear friend of mine suggested they worship Zeus!!!) . he has also tried to confirm a couple of times that Hitler did indeed fight in the second world war....So Sundays in Munger do occasionally bring fun & mirth....

Anyways, we went exploring Munger city today (In an official Ambassador of course...ahem! ahem!)....& I spent 300 bucks (It felt awesome to be able to spend in hundreds again!!), the boat ride on the ganga, the gandhi bazaar & finally the chandika mandir...

Now, the chandika mandir is supposed to contain the eyeball of a goddess sati, worshipped by Karna. Its a small but famous temple, yet the pujari is nothing short of a thief...."Beta 51 rupaiye maa ke naam dijiye aapki sab manokaamnaayein poori hongi"...This after I had already chadhaofied the daan....The same thing had happened in Kolkata also....Its like, you go to a temple to find peace, and come back even more disturbed. These pujaaris are something like small time entrepreneurs, fleecing bhakts to make money in god's name....really, its depressing!!

Anyways, thats my sunday!....Ciao!!!

1 comment:

Rohit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.