Thursday, May 22, 2008

Munger Diaries IV- Hic! Hic!

Ever heard of a workers' party?....Well I hadn't!....Apparently there is this ritual in ITC Munger, where workers occasionally invite their managers to join them for a plate of chicken & several glasses of drinks....hmm...I didn't know that, so, when my Guide (or sub guide(s)) asked me to come along with them for a "workers' party", I readily agreed....According to them, it was going to be a great learning experience in developing an understanding of workers' mentality...Now that its past me...lemme just say that was only partly true...

So, What comes to your mind when you think of a party?....A restaurant?....A Banquet hall?.....Nopes!...Not at all!....This party was in the road side gumti type of a place....where "managers" generally don't go out to eat....The menu: Non Veg only...Booze Compulsory....Cigarettes to smoked whenever you aren't chewing anything!.....Such a misfit I was in this party....Add to it the fact that the workers got drunk in a couple of drinks...& the managers not wanting to be left behind, gladly joined the workers in a who drinks the most competition....the guys I had come with were now completely sloshed...& we were supposed to drive back!!!

Another twist in the tale...I had the room keys & my poor roomie was buzzing me minute after minute...Whenever the phone rang, these drunkards would start screaming & howling....and oh...the place was kinda in the outskirts & it was already 10:00!!....


Anyways, the kind people had paneer made for me & brought sprite for me ( I shall be eternally grateful for that) & to top it all, delicious raseelae rasgullas...anyways, the camaraderie between the workers & the managers was worth seeing....in spite of all the drinks...

The ride back home was as eventful as anything...drunk managers, driving at 60-80 kmph....village roads...blaring music....& screams & yells of "Hat jaa raaste se &^%$$"...

All in all an eventful day!...Very different experience!!!....

No comments: