Friday, January 29, 2010

What to do?

I am sick of people acting aghast when I say I don’t play sports…And I don’t follow sports either… And I am sick of the extended explanation that I have to give to convince people that I am not lying… I mean really, I don’t play sports coz’ I know I suck… and I really do… and I don’t follow sports coz’ if I can’t play then what is the whole point of jumping at someone else making & breaking records! And please! Don’t even give me that nationalist Gyaan that one is supposed to cheer for India when it wins a Gold Cup… And since one must cheer for India it is logical that one must also witness the event for which one is acting so cheerfully! Sorry, boss… I am not 10 anymore… And clearly… India will continue to win/ lose shamelessly irrespective of whether I cheer for her or not…. That is point 1…. The flip side of not playing/watching/taking interest in sports is that it robs me of a very vital and easy topic on which small talk can be done…. Usually the conversation that commences with the line “How pathetic was Sachin’s performance yesterday”, should proceed to how great and awesome Sachin is…. And how beautifully India batted the other day etc. etc. …. Unfortunately though, in my case, the conversation thus begun are ended by me with a “hmmm”, with moi usually looking the other way to hide my shame at the fact that I wasn’t even aware that there was a match, let alone Sachin’s abominable performance…

I am also sick of people acting aghast when I tell them that I don’t really follow Hindi movies… Yes… I have still not seen “Dil Chahta hai”… or “KNPH”… I don’t think I have seen DDLJ fully till date… And I saw Kuch Kuch Hota Hai like some 4 years after its release… But before you brand me a hopelessly pathetic person, I would just like to say the following in my defense… I have made a genuine effort to watch Hindi movies… And what have I ended up watching… for some sad reason or the other… I have been subjected to tortures such as “Rakht”… “Dev D”… “Paa” etc. Not to say that “Black” or “Rang De Basanti” were not fantastic… but they were merely exceptions to the rule… So as a result… I have re-imposed a moratorium on me watching Hindi movies… unless they are recommended by at least 4 people whose opinions matter… So,That robs me of another easy “Small-Talk”-able topic…

I am also sick of people acting aghast when I tell them that I don’t read such books as “2 states” or “5 point someone” or the likes of such books… I am also sick of disappointing them by telling them the kind of books that I read… So that is one less area where small talk can be had!

Lastly I am sick of the exasperated looks on people’s faces when there is nothing left to talk about other than the weather!!! So that a typical conversation is...

Them : Its cold today!
Me: yea... Its very cold today!
Them: It was very cold yesterday also!
Me: I think the day before was the coldest!
Them: yea... See you!
Me: Bye!

What to do? :D

2 comments:

Rohit said...

LOL! Too good! I can so associate with it! Except the hindi movie part and my general nag for striking random conversation!

Keep it up! Loved it completely!

Snehal Vaidya said...

Vow.. this ones real good!!! lol
But seriously, I dont think you shd care enough if you dont follow sports or hindi films... Its not some kinda sin u see?? I think ud rather maintain ur individuality & do what you can do best, read what u can best & follow what you can best!!!!
Cheers!!!!